Today Microsoft has released the new licensing model for the System Center 2012 suite. (thanks to @Syliance) A couple of highlights are the following. Regarding Server Management Licencing there are only two different licences available:
- Datacenter (Maximizes cloud capacity with unlimited Operating System Environments (OSEs) for high density private clouds)
- Standard (For lightly or non-virtualized private cloud workloads)
Buying one of those editions gives you the right to use the complete System Center 2012 suite. The members of the System Center 2012 Suite are:
- Configuration Manager
- Service Manager
- Virtual Machine Manager
- Operations Manager
- Data Protection Manager
- App Controller
- Endpoint Protection
Regarding Client Management Licencing there are three different editions available.
- System Center 2012 Configuration Manager (per user/device)
- System Center 2012 Endpoint Protection (per user/device)
- System Center Client Management Suite (per user/OSE, composed of Data Protection Manager, Operations Manager, Service Manager, and Orchestrator)
There is no information available about the pricing of the 5 different licencing options, we will have to wait until the System Center 2012 suite is general available. Nevertheless the new much more simple licencing model makes me happy :), and I think that System Center 2012 will be widely adopted!